- Change for Your Life
- Change for Your Business
- Experiences for Women
- What The Flock
- On Being a Woman: 5-Month Group
- In Her Words: 5-Week Writing Series
- SheSpeaks: Women’s Speaking Series
- Mustang Sallies: A Posse For Women On Purpose
- HerMojo: A Benefit Dance For Women
- Workshops & Speaking
- Homecoming: Weekend Retreat
In Her Words: 5-Week Writing Series
If you’re anything like me, writing is the key to unlocking all of your answers – yet you resist it, put it off, and get busy doing other things. Why? Because it requires slowing down, going some places you might not want to go, and ultimately hearing yourself say things you might not want to hear. But for me, it is the single most effective way I have to understand myself – to hold counsel with myself.
And as I work with more women in my practice, I find I’m not alone…
“No one can listen long enough for me to figure out what I think…” – Jessica Esch on the power of journaling for clarity
I created this five-week guided writing experience with you in mind. Grounded in the assumption that women are unbelievably resourceful and generally have everything they need to know within themselves, I have designed this experience to support women in accessing, listening to, learning from, and acting upon the quiet voice that lives within each of us. The one that can easily get lost in the noise of our busy lives.
You might be thinking, “But I could just do that myself…” Sure. But you’re not, right? It keeps falling off the to-do list right along with getting more sleep, drinking more water and meditating more, yeah?
The secret sauce of this process lies in the accountability and structure it offers as well as the 1-2-3 approach to writing. It’s simple, really. Each week, women will have three questions to consider based on a theme. They’ll pick the one that speaks to them the most and will write about it (in a notebook, on a computer, as part of their blog…) from three different perspectives:
1st Person: Journaling (“I’m starting to realize there have been clear signs this is what I need…”)
2nd Person: Correspondence (“Dear Lael, you’re totally missing what’s right in front of your face…”)
3rd Person: Story (“There once was a woman who stopped along the path. Her feet were sore…”)
The women of this experience will come together (via phone conference) once a week for a Read Aloud and to set the stage for the next series of questions. Women will not be required to read aloud any portion of their writing, but this open forum offers an powerful opportunity for women to literally hear their own words in their own voice – and notice how it resonates with the other women.
“Story greases the hoists and pulleys, it causes adrenaline to surge, shows us the way out, down or up, and for our troubles, cuts for us fine wide doors in previously blank walls…” –Clarissa Pinkola Estes on the power of storytelling to set the inner life in motion
The intent of this experience is to move women into, through, and out of the places that feel stuck, confused or unknown. To that end, each week’s questions are centered on a particular theme or purpose:
Week One: Noticing
Taking stock and widening the aperture of your awareness
Week Two: Listening
Tuning into what matters most and narrowing your focus
Week Three: Choosing
Clarifying what you want and putting some stakes in the ground
Week Four: Moving
Starting to turn the wheels of motion toward what you want
Week Five: Mattering
Examining how you will continue forward on your path
Some Things to Consider:
- No writing experience or skill is necessary to participate (if you can write a to-do list, you’re all set).
- This is not a writing class – no instruction on how to write will be given. Nor is it a writing group, where you will be critiqued. It’s all about how your voice wants to be heard, rather than about grammar, spelling or composition.
- We will be meeting over the phone, so you can participate from whatever state, remote island or far away country you happen to be living in. In your PJs.
- You will be the one to decide when and how much you write each week. I will be available over e-mail for questions in between our sessions or, if you choose, to be the “catcher’s mitt” that holds you accountable to actually doing the writing (ie. texting me when you’re done, sending me an e-mail with some sound bites, etc)
Details & Dates
- This 5-week writing experience (+ an intro call) will be offered ONE time in 2015 – starting March 10th (see specific dates below).
- After registering, all participants will receive a packet in the mail containing the weekly questions, the process, and a helpful handful of articles, ideas, and suggested tips and techniques on writing.
- The first week of the series is an informational call for all registered participants of that series. We’ll use this time to clarify the process, set expectations and get ready to write. The next five weeks will be all about writing.
- Participants will meet as a group (via conference call) every Tuesday night for one hour for our Real Aloud, where women will have the chance to read small segments of their writing to acknowledge, celebrate and honor the work they’ve done. This is also the time we’ll be recalibrating the process/questions for the following week:
March 2015 Series
March 10th at 7:30 pm EST (informational call to set context/meet group)
March 17th at 7:30 pm EST (read aloud Week 1, set up Week 2)
March 24th at 7:30 pm EST (read aloud Week 2, set up Week 3)
March 31st at 7:30 pm EST (read aloud Week 3, set up Week 4)
April 7th at 7:30 pm EST (read aloud Week 4, set up Week 5)
April 14th at 7:30 pm EST (read aloud Week 5, closure)
- Cost: $325 for five week experience plus materials
This circle will fill up quickly, so if you’re interested please reach out to Lael with your questions to see if this experience is a good fit for you.