- Change for Your Life
- Change for Your Business
- Experiences for Women
- An Unscripted Evening
- On Being a Woman: 5-Month Group
- In Her Words: 6-Week Writing Series
- SheSpeaks: Women’s Speaking Series
- Mustang Sallies: A Posse For Women On Purpose
- HerMojo: A Benefit Dance For Women
- Workshops & Speaking
- Homecoming: Weekend Retreat
In Her Words: 6-Week Writing Series
If you’re anything like me, writing is the key to unlocking all of your answers – yet you resist it, put it off, and get busy doing other things. Why? Because it requires slowing down, going some places you might not want to go, and ultimately hearing yourself say things you might not want to hear. But for me, it is the single most effective way I have to understand myself – to hold counsel with myself.
“I don’t know what I think until I write it down.” Joan Didion
Does this sound familiar?
- You want to have a conversation with yourself but are avoiding it like the plague because you don’t even know where to begin.
- You have a rough idea (vague notion, garbled inkling) of what you want, but can’t quite hear it clearly — or if you do, you’re having trouble breaking it down into bite-sized pieces.
- You’re tired of looking outside yourself for the answers, but tend not to go inside for intel unless you have a hot fire lit under your ass that forces your hand.
I just described myself, so I feel your pain. I’ve sung that song many times, as have my clients. You’re not alone. Chances are you’re just scared or overwhelmed or can get away with waiting until “someday” to scratch below the surface.
Or can you? More the point: Do you want to?
I created this six-week guided writing experience with you in mind. Grounded in the assumption that women are unbelievably resourceful and generally have everything they need to know within themselves, I have designed this experience to support women in accessing, listening to, learning from, and acting upon the quiet voice that lives within each of us. The one that can easily get lost in the noise of our busy lives.
You might be thinking, “But I could just do that myself…” Sure. But you’re not, right? It keeps falling off the to-do list right along with getting more sleep, drinking more water and meditating more, yeah?
The secret sauce of this process lies in the accountability and structure it offers as well as the 1-2-3 approach to writing. It’s simple, really. Each week, women will have three questions to consider based on a theme. They’ll pick the one that speaks to them the most and will write about it (in a notebook, on a computer, as part of their blog…) from three different perspectives:
1st Person: Journaling (“I’m starting to realize there have been clear signs this is what I need…”)
2nd Person: Correspondence (“Dear Lael, you’re totally missing what’s right in front of your face…”)
3rd Person: Story (“There once was a woman who stopped along the path. Her feet were sore…”)
The women of this experience will come together (via phone conference) once a week for a Read Aloud and to set the stage for the next series of questions. Women will not be required to read aloud any portion of their writing, but this open forum offers a powerful opportunity for women to finally put pen to paper and get out what is inside them, as well a chance to literally hear their own words in their own voice. And bonus! Because you’ll be doing this in the company of kindred spirits, you’ll also hear how you’re not as alone – or crazy – as you thought!
“Story greases the hoists and pulleys, it causes adrenaline to surge, shows us the way out, down or up, and for our troubles, cuts for us fine wide doors in previously blank walls…”
Clarissa Pinkola Estes
And I will say this with all confidence: it works. It just does. I speak from personal experience (my book was born out of this process when I used myself as a guinea pig) and I have witnessed women gain clarity that ultimately inspires action (mustering courage to move on from a soul-sucking job, open their hearts to love, make space in their life to do more of what feeds them, plant seeds for a business – or a family – to grow…)
To that end, each week’s questions are centered on a particular theme or purpose:
Week One: Arriving
Setting context and stating clear intentions for yourself
Week Two: Noticing
Taking stock and widening the aperture of your awareness
Week Three: Listening
Tuning into what matters most and narrowing your focus
Week Four: Choosing
Clarifying what you want and putting some stakes in the ground
Week Five: Moving
Starting to turn the wheels of motion toward what you want
Week Six: Mattering
Examining how you will continue forward on your path
Some Things to Consider:
- No writing experience or skill is necessary to participate (if you can write a to-do list, you’re all set).
- I limit the group size to six women and vet each woman carefully to ensure a good fit. In fact, many of the women I have worked with or known from my business, and have been “tapped” by me to participate. So you can be assured that you will be among kindred spirits in this group.
- This is not a writing class – no instruction on how to write will be given. Nor is it a writing group, where you will be critiqued. It’s all about how your voice wants to be heard, rather than about grammar, spelling or composition.
- We will be meeting over the phone, so you can participate from whatever state, remote island or far away country you happen to be living in. In your PJs.
- You will be the one to decide when and how much you write each week. I will be available over e-mail for questions in between our sessions or, if you choose, to be the “catcher’s mitt” that holds you accountable to actually doing the writing (ie. texting me when you’re done, sending me an e-mail with some sound bites, etc)
Details & Dates
- The next running of this 6-week writing experience will be held in March of 2017 — starting on March 7th and running through April 11th (see specific dates below).
- After registering, all participants will receive a packet in the mail containing the weekly questions, the process, and a helpful handful of articles, ideas, and suggested tips and techniques on writing.
- The first week of the series (“Arrival”) is an informational call for all registered participants of the series. We’ll use this time to clarify the process, set expectations and get ready to write. The next five weeks will be all about writing.
- Participants will meet as a group (via conference call) every Tuesday night for one hour for our Real Aloud, where women will have the chance to read small segments of their writing to acknowledge, celebrate and honor the work they’ve done. This is also the time we’ll be recalibrating the process/questions for the following week:
March 7th at 7:00 pm EST (informational call to set context/meet group)
March 14th at 7:00 pm EST (read aloud Week 1, set up Week 2)
March 21st at 7:00 pm EST (read aloud Week 2, set up Week 3)
March 28th at 7:00 pm EST (read aloud Week 3, set up Week 4)
April 4th at 7:00 pm EST (read aloud Week 4, set up Week 5)
April 11th at 7:00 pm EST (read aloud Week 5, closure)
- Cost: $375 for six week experience plus materials
This circle will fill up quickly, so if you’re interested please reach out to Lael with your questions to see if this experience is a good fit for you.